Wednesday, September 25, 2013

HUMP DAY HOPE WITH WEDNESDAY'S WORD: LESSONS




This morning had to have been one of the craziest mornings I have had in a long time.  As I was dressing my daughter, I told my son about 4 or 5 times to go and get his tennis shoes for me.  He would leave the room and come back with nothing.  I would tell him exactly where they were as he was always good at following instructions ANY OTHER TIME.  He still returned empty-handed.  I said, "Fine, I will take you downstairs, put you in the car and get your shoes then." He sat and continued to play. Really, how much more explaining was I going to do with a soon-to-be 3 year old... not much more, trust.

So I went out to the garage, put the kids in the car, grabbed the MANY bags that had to go with me and ventured to work. I get to their school, which is at the same location as my job, park the car and I look back at the boy.  With a previous habit of removing his shoes during car rides to say, "Jayson, put on your shoes!"  He gave me a blank stare; I thought he was having his usual "I'm two and I'm independent" situations.  I was about to raise my voice and ask him again sternly, until I remembered.... OH SHOOT! I never put them on him!!  He said innocently, "They are home, Mommy!" *self-forehead slap*  I live 29 miles from work, mind you.

I called the school to see if they had spares from donations.  They said they didn't know if they had his size; they may be too small. I couldn't run that risk.  With recess outside and his running about, it could hurt is feet. So I took off, back home, 29 miles later.... got his shoes, fed both kids (because breakfast would be over by the time we returned to school) and made the 29 mile trek back!!!  *sigh*

Usually, I am more than prepared when things occur with my children.  I have extra clothes, wipes, diapers, snacks, whatever, just in case we get stuck in a rut at some point.  Shoes were never on that list, unles the kids were just a few months old and I kept soft shoes available in the diaper bag.  So what does all of this mean?? LESSON LEARNED!!  

I couldn't be mad at anyone but myself in this situation.  I was only frustrated with the ride back and forth, but I would do it again if for my kids or my husband.  Might give a *side eye* to do that for someone else, but I'd do it... reluctantly, with a few reminders that I did it over the next month, but I digress.  Just kidding, a little.  Anyway, the point is that I will make sure I am better prepared.  

You can't do everything for every scenario that may go on in your life, but just be open-minded to abrupt changes that can affect your flow.  Life happens.  We face challenges and are really angered by our current situations; however, they don't have to remain as future situations.  Make changes to the circumstances, analyze your lesson(s) learned and move on.  There is a reason for everything and learning lessons is one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment